Having a good camera like Nikon D3500 sure is great. However, you won’t be able to do much without lenses. For the best results, you need a proper lens that can handle your chosen type of photography. In this article, we will talk about the best telephoto lens for Nikon D3500.
Nikon is a very good brand that offers a wide selection of cameras and lenses. A true photographer is able to recognize the quality behind this brand. Their cameras are great and very easy to handle. One of such cameras is also Nikon D3500. This is a camera for professionals as well as beginners. It is easy to use, the controls are very intuitively placed and it sits comfortably in the hand.
However, no matter how great the camera is, you will need to put some lenses on it. Only this way, you will be able to bring your photography to the next level. On this point, you should know that Nikon D3500 uses DX format. The DX sensor is a bit smaller, measuring 15.8×23.6mm. Usually, Nikon cameras with this type of sensor are designed to be smaller. Therefore, lenses that fit such cameras are smaller as well. However, this can be an advantage, as they are often much cheaper, not to mention they are also much more convenient.
Speaking from experience, I know that finding your perfect lens is no easy task. There is so much to choose from, so it’s difficult to decide. In the past, I was also looking for a telephoto lens that will fit my Nikon D3500. I’ve done a little research and found top five lenses. I decided to go with one and it turned out as one of the best decisions I have ever made. Now let’s check them out!
Last update on 2021-12-31
WHAT ARE TELEPHOTO LENSES?
Telephoto lenses come to use when the standard zoom just can cut it. These lenses are usually a bit bigger and are most often found within a range of 100mm up to 600mm. Sometimes it can be even more than that.
Telephoto lenses work best for wildlife photography and nature photography. They are often used for sports photography as well and are a crucial piece of equipment when it comes to night sky photography. So if you find yourself in any of these, then a telephoto lens is an absolute must. It is one piece of equipment that you as a photographer can’t miss.
We can further subcategorize telephoto lenses into three categories, based on the focal length size. First, we have short telephoto. This one comes in a range of 85mm to 135mm and is most often used for street photography and portraits. Second comes medium telephoto that ranges between 135mm and 300mm. This type of lens is often associated with sports, wildlife, and action photography. Lastly, we have super-telephoto, which ranges from 300mm and up. It is most commonly used for astronomy photography, sports from a distance, and nature photography. Generally speaking, you will need this type of lens when taking photos from great distances.
The main disadvantage with telephoto lenses is that they are usually pretty big and heavy. Therefore, you may require a tripod to support them. This makes them a bit less practical than standard zoom lenses, but still, they deliver a hack of the result.
BEST TELEPHOTO LENSES FOR NIKON D3500
So the main question remains what is the best telephoto lens for Nikon D3500. In my experience, there are multiple options that are completely satisfying. There is nothing like only one right choice. As long as the lens fits your camera and meets your expectations, the job is done.
One of the most important things is finding a compatible lens. If the lens doesn’t fit your camera then you cannot use it and you just wasted a lot of cash. Therefore, you need to pay attention to the compatible mountings. This way, it will be much easier to find a lens that actually fits.
Of course, you will have to determine whether you prefer prime lenses or zoom lenses. Prime lenses have fixed focal length and are more of a thing of professionals. However, some of you may find this a bit inconvenient, as you will need to physically move closer or further away from an object. On the other hand, zoom lenses offer much more freedom as they have variable focal length. You can zoom in or zoom out by simply turning the zoom ring in one direction. Personally, I prefer zoom lenses. I think that they are more user-friendly, especially if you are a beginner. They are easy to handle and also more fun to work with, as you can move within the given range.
The most popular telephoto lens ranges between 70mm and 200mm. This is a sweet spot, as you can do all sorts of photography using this lens. It is appropriate for portrait photography, product photography, and also nature and wildlife photography.
Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras – Recommended telephoto lens for Nikon D3500
Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm is a superb super telephoto zoom lens. It offers countless opportunities for photo taking and video recording. Above all, this lens is very light, which makes it very convenient for bringing it with you on a trip.
With this lens, you can easily bring action closer to you. Distant objects will no longer pose a problem. You can get in reach simply by turning the zoom ring. This lens is appropriate for sports photography, wildlife photography, even event, and landmark photography. It can also produce very beautiful portraits with softly blurred backgrounds.
The image quality is outstanding. With this lens, you can truly unleash the full potential of your camera. The photos have deep contrast, minimal distortion, and very accurate colors. And to top it all, the lens also features extremely fast and is nearly silent autofocus. Therefore, I truly believe this is the best telephoto lens for Nikon D3500.
- F-Mount Lens/DX Format
- 105-450mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Fully Compatible with the following Nikon Digital SLR cameras, including: D7500, D5600, D5500, D5300, D3400, D3300, D500, D850
- Compatible models with limited functions: Df, D5, D810, D750, D7200, D7100
- Incompatible models: D4 Series, D3 Series, D2 Series, D1 Series, D800 Series, D700, D610, D600, D300 Series, D200, D100, D7000, D5100, D90, D70 Series, D3200, D3100, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, film cameras
Last update on 2021-12-31
Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC All-in-One Zoom for Nikon APS-C Digital SLR
Tamron AF 18-200mm is a highly capable telephoto zoom lens that can produce outstanding images. Despite that it is not a Nikon lens, you can still mount it on your Nikon camera. The lens features Nikon DX mounting, which makes it compatible with a lot of Nikon cameras.
With a great range of 18-200mm it can cope with any photographic situation. You can use it as a telephoto lens or wide-angle lens. All in one. This is a high-power zoom lens that is also incredibly light. Additionally, it features a very good autofocus system that makes sure your images are sharp.
This lens is ideal for beginners, especially for those who don’t have any previous experiences with interchangeable lenses. It is truly worth your consideration.
- Faster, quieter and more precise autofocus
- Maximum diameter: 75mm.Designed exclusively for APS-C DSLR cameras
- VC (Vibration Compensation) for sharp handheld shooting
- Compatible Mounts:Canon, Nikon, Sony*3
Last update on 2022-01-17
NIKON AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Lens
NIKON AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm features a retracting design. The lens is small and lightweight, which makes it ideal for traveling and everyday use. It also has a focal length range that supports all kinds of photography, from portraits and group shots to sports and nature photography.
Thanks to technological advancement, the lens features a great image stabilization system. You no longer need to worry about shaky videos or blurry images. The lens also has very fast and precise autofocus. You will be able to get the sharp shot you desire.
This is a great lens that can handle almost any situation. It is a wonderful option, so if you decide to purchase it, you will be making the right choice. It is for sure one of the best telephoto lenses for Nikon D3500.
- Compact telephoto zoom that's great for action, people and travel. Metering - Full aperture
- Focal Length Range : 55 -200 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 3.7 ft. ( 1.1 m). Maximum angle of view (DX-format): 28°50', Minimum angle of view (DX-format): 8°
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC) delivers superior color quality while reducing ghosting and lens flare
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass nearly eliminates optical distortion, while a rounded seven-blade diaphragm makes out of focus elements look more natural
- Nikon Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization provides 4.0 stops of blur free handheld shooting, assuring dramatically sharper still images, steadier HD videos and enhanced low-light performance
Last update on 2022-01-17
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm is a compact lens with a high refractive Index and 2 Extra-low Dispersion glass elements. With this lens, you will be able to take images of objects really far away and bring them closer to you.
The lens features incredibly precise, fast, and ultra-quiet autofocus. Additonally, it has up to date image stabilization system, so your stills and videos will look on point. The lens is also able to perform very well in low-light situations.
This is truly a remarkable piece of equipment that would make any photographer happy. It is definitely worth all recommendations.
- 5.5x Telephoto Zoom lens,Filter Thread: 58 mm
- Nikon VR Image Stabilization; Tripod Detection Mode, Focal Length Range : 55 -300 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 4.6 ft.( 1.4 m)
- HRI (High Refractive Index) Lens Element
- 2 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Elements.Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- Lens Cap:Snap-on
Last update on 2022-01-17
Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS HSM Lens for Nikon
Sigma 150-600mm is a great example of a hyper-telephoto zoom lens. Now this lens was not developed by Nikon. However, it features Nikon F mounting system, which makes it compatible with Nikon cameras. This is a lightweight and compact lens, so you can take it with you anywhere you go.
This is more of a long-reach lens. It is ideal for wildlife photography. However, it can handle any long-reach photographic situation. Additionally, it features a new zoom lock switch that can be locked at any focal length. They have also incorporated a new manual override switch for improved focusing control.
The lens produces fantastic images. The quality is outstanding and they are also extremely sharp. Additionally, the lens allows customization of firmware updates, focus limiter, AF speed and OS view. I am convinced that this could easily be the best telephoto lens for Nikon D3500.
- 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM / C
- Minimum focusing distance : 280 cm/110.2 inches, focal length :150-600mm. Diaphragm blades: 9
- First hyper-telephoto zoom from the Contemporary line, Dust proof and splash proof mount95mm filter
- Lightweight & compact in construction for higher usability.SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1401 and TC-2001 are dedicated to Tele Converter lenses, which should be used with only listed lenses.The converter cannot be attached to the camera and lens whose mount is different.Do not use the SIGMA TELE CONVERTER on top of another SIGMA TELE CONVERTER, or any other kinds of converters.
- Water and oil repellent coating on front glass element makes maintenance of the lens surface easier
Last update on 2021-12-31
FINAL THOUGHTS on best telephoto lens for Nikon D3500
With this, we come to an end of this article. Hopefully, you found my recommendations helpful. However, in the end, it is up to you to decide what works best for you. Your preferences are the key here. Only you know what you like and I hope that my recommendations meet your expectations. Just pay attention to focal length and compatibility with your camera and you should be fine.
I am sure that among this selection you will find the best budget telephoto lens for Nikon D3500. All of the lenses featured here are excellent and above all, wallet-friendly. You can’t go wrong with either of them, so as long as you stick with this selection, you’ll be fine. Now the only thing you should focus on is your photography. Become the photographer you want to be.
PEOPLE ALSO LIKE
- Best Lenses for Fuji XT4
- Which is the Best Telephoto Lens for Sony A6400
- Best Canon Macro lenses for Insects
- Top Rated All-Round Lenses for Sony A6000
- Best Budget lenses for Sports photography
Profession: Freelance Photographer
Hobbies: Hiking, paragliding, photo editing